Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Who does God use?

I have been reading a book by Elizabeth George called "Women of the Bible". I was reading the chapters on Rahab when I was struck by something. Rahab was not a "good girl". She was a harlot. However, somewhere along the line she had heard about God and feared him, although I don't think anyone would say she knew him. So God used a harlot to accomplish his purposes - the Israelite spies hid and were able to go back to the rest of the Israelite soldiers and tell them their scouting report, which ultimately led to them taking Jericho for God's people. Rahab then married an Israelite and lived out the rest of her days in Jerusalem. And she became Jesus' great (times a lot) grandmother. A former harlot is in our Savior's lineage. Wow!

So here's what struck me - God used her when she was still a harlot. She was not redeemed until after she accomplished what God called her to do. God called her before she was even a believer. She had heard of "this God of the Israelites", but that was it.

I think that it's amazing that God can use anyone. Anyone. Even you. Even me.

2 comments:

LeeBird3 said...

Thank the Lord that He can used cracked pots!!! :) If not, I'd be useless! Welcome back bloggy girl!

Amy Jo said...

And I LOVE how He's using YOU, my Beautiful Friend! Great job on your first talk!! I'm so proud of you, and I know God is too!!! Praying His abundant blessings upon you! Love and hugs, A