Monday, July 14, 2008

Pride and Insecurity and Enough already!

They sound like this is an oxymoron, not so much. They are different, but just by degrees. I don't think I have pride in any one trait or talent, just pride in "myselfness", that I am able on my own. It's hard to say "I'm sorry" and "You're right" and really mean it. I've tried to hide from God (note to reader: it doesn't work - don't bother). I've tried to hide my bad traits and habits from others (note to reader - it works for a while, but it's exhausting; I don't recommend it). I have issues with perfection - perfect kids, perfect house, perfect marriage, perfect faith, perfect class, perfect faith, etc... My insecurity sounds like, "If I'm not perfect you won't like me. Oh, you won't like me anyway."
However, I find that the more transparent I become to myself, the more I can admit my depravity to God. Not that He doesn't know, but He can do something with it when I admit it. Otherwise, it gets locked in a closet somewhere, covered with dust, and He can't do anything with something I won't let go of. He can only work in me when I MOVE ME ASIDE! Which I can't do on my own anyway - He has to do it for me. For the first time in my life, transparency doesn't scare me. Not that I want to live in a glass house (seriously, it would scare off the neighbors), but in glass flesh so that who GOD is, is visible in me. I respect and value transparency in others. Finding it in myself, sensing my own depravity and grasping the fact that only God can give me anything worth being prideful about, is powerful. As Paul says, "If I must boast, I only boast in the things that show my weakness" (2 Cor 11:30) because that's where God is seen. Being transparent about my mistakes, sin, depravity makes Him visible. I can't do anything worthwhile without Him. No legacy, no nothing, unless He is in control. Looking in the mirror and seeing my own ickiness makes it possible for Him to be glorified.
Are transparency and authenticity the same thing? Maybe I'm just afraid that my real self isn't what my trumped-up, opaque self claims to be. But my real self is the one God made and is the one He is molding. My opaque self is my own shellacked and white-washed creation and I am no artist compared to God. Isn't His museum-caliber masterpiece so much more than this thrown-together pale imitation?
Hard to live out, though, huh? I'm protected behind my whitewash. I look good to passersby and even to myself if I don't dig too deeply. I'm vulnerable and more than a little nervous with my bare soul hanging out.
I'm afraid of not measuring up (to whom?)
I'm afraid of not being in the cool group. Still.
I'm afraid I will scare people away.
I'm afraid of not being enough (who decides when it's "enough"?).

But God lets us come to Him empty-handed. There is no "enough". And it's a good thing, too, because we'd wear ourselves out trying to reach that ephemeral "enough". And the accounting would be a nightmare.

So why aren't I, empty-handed, enough?
The crazy thing is, I am. Not in a prideful way, although pride sure rears up his ugly head in the most dichotomous way. I'm enough and I'm not proud.
I need to let God balance that teeter-totter for me and not make myself dizzy and sick running back and forth between "pride" and "insecurity".

He is enough. Period.

2 comments:

LeeBird3 said...

Wow.......You know me....you really, really know me! :) You drew some amazing word pictures in this blog! Not a glass house, but glass flesh. I will never forget that. Oh, Lord, wash off the whitewash and let me be so clear the "birds" that come my way will run smack dab into the patio door of my heart!!

Glad you visited my blog! I will add you to my blog list. I think we could be an encouragement to one another. Love on those little boys today...trust me they don't stay little long...

Pinkshoelady said...

Hi New Friend!
You are so right in your blog!
God is enough!
I am forever doubting myself and fighting Him.
I have been having a new question I pose to myself every morning.
"Am I willing to be disliked by others in order to be real with God?"

The answer. God is enough!

I enjoyed your post and thanks for visiting my blog the other day!
Please come again.

I will pray for you and ask that you pray for me also!

Nice to meet you my new friend!
Pamela R.